Tuesday 4 September 2012

Endless Beginnings

I have been extremely fortunate in my life, and I am truly filled with love and gratitude for all of the people, lessons and experiences, that the Universal Law of life's 'School of hard knocks', has placed on my journey. Anthony Robbins & Joseph McClendon III were amongst them.

Before I went to prison in June 2009, at a turning point in my life, I had the privilege of attending a three or four full day Anthony Robbins workshop at the Excel Centre. I was one participant of thousands who were given a tailor made unforgettable experience. I literally walked on burning red hot coals during that weekend and I believe that the workshop sincerely prepared me to attract and endure outstanding achievements and to prevail.

Within the last few days, I spent a day at the Wandsworth Prison college as a person with lived experience of mental illness who has come in contact with the criminal justice system. I participated in a Rethink Mental Illness, Mental Health Awareness course for PACT Prison Visitor Centre Staff.

Now I am about to embark on another challenge. This will take several years of patience, diligence, hard work, tenacity and perseverance. In October I will begin a part time Open University Combined Social Science of Sociology and Social Policy BA (Hons) first degree. I will, of course, continue my much loved full time employment working with Complex Needs and Mental Health clients within the field of Inner City Homelessness Charity work.

I am still a member of the Conservative Party and am delighted to have also been cleared to attend this year's Conservative Party conference, which is taking place in Birmingham in October. I will be attending the conference to hear Prime Minister David Cameron make his speech and look forward to wearing - with pride - my Stonewall 'Some Girls Marry Girls' sticker in full view of my Conservative colleagues.

In November, I aim to attend the 2012 MIND Media Awards for best media portrayal of Mental Health in the media. Mr Stephen Fry will be the host this year. It is a RSVP affair and I feel privileged to have participated in short-listing the speech category, this year.

Within this month of September, I am looking forward to spending some quality time with my beloved son, James, I will also be attending a Stonewall Supporters function at the London Television Studios, I shall be participating in a Gay Marriage debate with the VCA - Vauxhall Conservative Association,  I will be concluding my participation as a lived experience Commissioner on the Schizophrenia Commission, I am waiting to find out how I got on in my recent interview with Time To Change - this is my attempt to secure the role on the Senior Management Group as a Black, Minority Ethnic Lived Experience Mental Health Representative. If I am successful I will be attending four hourly meetings every three months. I am also waiting to find out if I have been successful at securing an interview for the 'Speakers Parliamentary Placement Scheme.' If I am successful for this position, it will entail my taking a nine month sabbatical from my employers to work with an Member of Parliament within 'the Westminster bubble'.

Early next year I look forward to travelling to Edinburgh for a few days to attend the History of Freemasons workshop - if it takes place. But just for today, I am going to say THANK YOU, while I continue to read Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins.






No comments:

Post a Comment