Wednesday 25 January 2012

WELL BEHAVED WOMEN RARELY MAKE HISTORY


Today is Peter Tatchell's birthday. I met and photographed Peter in October 2009. He is now sixty years old. Many Happy Returns Peter!

This evening, I invited Luis, my 'Spanish brother' into my Coldharbour Ward 'hood', to watch 'THE IRON LADY' at the Ritzy Cinema, in Brixton with me.

My friend Luis - who is also a work colleague, told me this evening that he cannot believe that I am a Conservative. I have had this reaction from all of my work colleagues. However, Luis thought that I was a Lib Dem.

I loved the film 'The Iron Lady' and felt emotional after watching it. Thanks to my favourite female actress: Meryl Streep.

I am so glad to share my 13th October birthday with Margaret Thatcher.

Nick Clegg: Peter Tatchell, never bullied into silence

by
25 January 2012, 8:55am

Deputy prime minister and leader of the Liberal Democrats, Nick Clegg, writes for PinkNews.co.uk that Peter Tatchell has never allowed physical or verbal attacks to bully him into silence.

Peter Tatchell has been a tireless campaigner against homophobia, racism and sexism and for civil liberties and social justice.

In standing up to and confronting injustice and abuse, he has often put himself at a considerable risk.

Although his campaigns and tactics have often courted controversy, no one can deny the positive impact that Peter has had on our society and the importance of his role in fighting for LGBT rights.

It is a tribute to him that the unpleasant verbal and physical attacks he has suffered have never bullied him into silence.

With that, I want to wish him a very happy birthday and I hope that his activism will long continue and bring many more successes all over the world.

Stephen Fry wrote this poem to celebrate Peter’s birthday.

Discuss this story: 20 COMMENTS
ADD PINK NEWS TO YOUR FACEBOOK NEWS FEED

A prose poem for Peter Tatchell, by Stephen Fry

by
24 January 2012, 11:55pm

Author, actor and television presenter Stephen Fry wrote this prose poem to mark Peter Tatchell’s 60th birthday.

You are maddening.
You are threatening.
You are insanely brave.
You have moved us forward.
You sometimes embarrass us.
We would so often look the other way.
But we owe you, Peter.
We owe you so much.
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Peter Tatchell
Scourge of hatred
And upholder of honour

You would hate to be called it
But you are our knight
Our champion
Our friend.

Happy birthday

Discuss this story: 21 COMMENTS
ADD PINK NEWS TO YOUR FACEBOOK NEWS FEED

No comments:

Post a Comment