Tuesday 10 January 2012

www.schizophreniacommission.org.uk

Today I was on annual leave from my full time paid employment, and I spent the day at the Imperial War Museum. This is a place where, over the years, I have enjoyed much quality time in the company of my beloved son James.

Today, I had my commissioner's hat on, at the Imperial War Museum, for The Schizophrenia Commission, where evidence for schizophrenia and psychosis was being taken before a well attended audience.

It amazes me that the Imperial War Museum is the site of the old Bethlem Royal Psychiatric hospital. My son spent from day five of his life - the first five days was spent in St Thomas' Hospital, whilst I recovered from his birth via a caesarian section. Then we both were driven straight to the Mother and Baby Unit in the current Bethlem Royal Psychiatric hospital. We spent almost three months there.

Today's Schizophrenia Commission session was filmed, and can soon be found on: www.schizophreniacommission.org.uk

It was an amazing day and I am really looking forward to attending the next evidence taking session, in February 2012, in Manchester.

The last time that I was in Manchester was before my son was born, in fact decades ago. I was there for a Women's only HIV/AIDS weekend conference. That was my second time in Manchester. The first time I was there, I was playing the drum kit in a Women's Band before a packed audience in the Green Rooms.

Today, my Mental health social worker & care coordinator, 'amazing' Grace, rang me. We have arranged to meet later this week - I may have to take an hour or so off work to attend my appointment. This is because she hasn't seen me since early December 2011, when I had an appointment with her and my psychiatrist.

The last time that I saw Grace, we started discussing, Hillary Clinton's historic Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans speech for Human Rights Day. It got a bit heated and my psychiatrist changed the subject. So I am looking forward to continuing the Gay rights and Human rights are one and the same conversation with Grace this week. Not lest because she is a married woman with several children, she is deeply religious and was born in and grew up in Nigeria.


No comments:

Post a Comment